Zim Diaspora

Aug 20th
Text size
  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size


Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home2/zimdias/public_html/modules/mod_fpss/tmpl/TT/default.php on line 20
Frontpage Slideshow | Copyright © 2006-2011 JoomlaWorks Ltd.

Jailed monster Gurure used hacksaw to mutilate sis Julia

By Leicester Mercury

A jealous Zimbabwean lover mutilated his girlfriend's body after beating her to death during a drunken row in Britain's Midlands city of Leicester.

Archibold Gurure (35) was jailed for life yesterday and will serve a minimum of 18 years.

He admitting murdering Julie Dlamini-Mubvumba, 44, at her Leicester home on the night of March 25 by striking her head with something blunt, probably the curved part of a plug-in radiator.


The monster: Archibold Gurure

He then cut her body open with a hacksaw and removed her liver. He also cut off her wedding ring finger.

Gurure had also tried to strangle the mother-of-four.

Julie's family, including her 25-year-old son, Colin, were at Leicester Crown Court to see Gurure jailed.

Afterwards, Colin said: "My mother was everything to me and it's hard to know what to do without her inspiration and love. She was more than a best friend.

"This planet has no space for people like Gurure. I hope he rots in jail and sees what a lifetime of change he's caused to our family."

Colin said his three sisters, in Zimbabwe, were devastated by their mother's death.

Julie's uncle, Ryton Dzimiri, said: "To be told a member of your family has been lost in such a brutal and barbaric manner was difficult to cope with.

"I've never heard of anyone who's done such a thing. He's like an animal."

Timothy Spencer, prosecuting, said the couple, both originally from Zimbabwe, met in 2003, and lived together in Humberstone Road, Leicester.

Julie was a care worker employed by Leicester City Council and seeking asylum. Gurure had been given leave to stay in the UK.

At the end of 2009, Julie moved out to a basement flat in Gotham Street, Highfields, Leicester.

Mr Spencer said she tried in vain to end the "volatile" relationship with Gurure – a "jealous man" who regularly checked Julie's mobile phone for evidence of contact with other men.

"The defendant and his ultimate victim were irresistibly drawn together and saw each other daily," said Mr Spencer.

"The week before her murder she failed to turn up to work and told colleagues she'd had 'a really bad domestic'."

On the night Julie died, she and Gurure were drinking together at her flat.

A young man described as "a boyfriend or secret admirer" called round, which made Gurure jealous.

Later, Julie received a call from a female friend and afterwards there was apparently another argument during which Gurure "completely lost self control", said Mr Spencer.

"Julie suffered a number of blows to the face," he said. "She must have been hit with considerable force, sufficient to cause the brain injury which killed her."

The next morning, Gurure called his sister in Ireland and a Leicester friend, both of whom advised him to go to the police.

He was later arrested in a bookmakers after asking for the police to be called because "someone has died".

The police went to Julie's flat, where they discovered her body.

High Court Judge Mr Justice Keith told Gurure: "No-one will ever know exactly how Julie Mubvumba died. You may know but you're not saying.

"You told your solicitor you remember hitting her with a radiator or heater, and sawing her chest and cutting her stomach open with a hacksaw, but claimed to remember nothing else apart from having an argument with her.

"It looks as if you were a jealous, possessive man who had difficulty with Julie even speaking to men."

Simon Clarke, in mitigation, said: "It was an argument that arose on the spur-of-the-moment, in drink, with no pre-planning. There was no direct intention to kill."

In a letter to the judge, Gurure described feeling pain, anguish and shame over the loss caused to Julie's family.

After the hearing, Detective Chief Inspector Neil Castle, the senior investigating officer, said: "This was a tragic case which has impacted on the victim's family both here in the UK and back in her own country of Zimbabwe."

He added the case had also been "particularly harrowing" for the officers who dealt with the initial scene.

In a statement issued after the hearing, Julie's family said: "The devastation, emptiness, especially on her four children, is unimaginable.

"Her three girls, Yvonne, Yvette and Mandy, who is still at university, and Colin, in Bristol, have lost the breadwinner in the family."